Cancelling and switching health insurance
If you would like to cancel your current health insurance and switch to Sympany, welcome! Or maybe you would like to switch from Sympany to another health insurer? That would be a shame, but it is your right. However, please check whether you will lose any benefits when you leave Sympany (e.g. service benefits and combination discounts).
The statutory notice periods are the same for all health insurers. For the standard model of compulsory health insurance (free choice of doctor and a franchise of CHF 300.00), there are two cancellation deadlines per year. For insurance models with a premium discount (e.g. Telmed model or higher franchise), there is one deadline per year. Upcoming deadlines:
- All basic insurance policies: Cancellation with effect from 31 December with a one-month notice period, i.e. by 30 November 2023, 17:00
- Standard model (free choice of doctor and a franchise of CHF 300): Also cancellation with effect from 30 June with a three-month notice period, i.e. by 31 March 2023, 17:00
Attention: It is only possible to switch to another health insurer if all your premium and benefit statements have been settled by 31 December. For legal reasons, we cannot accept cancellations if invoices remain unpaid.
- All voluntary supplementary insurance policies can be cancelled annually with effect from 31 December (exception: multiple-year policies). The notice period is usually three months. Next deadline: Cancellation with effect from 31 December 2023 with a three-month notice period, i.e. by 29 September 2023, 17:00
- If the premium changes, the notice period is shorter – so you have more time to cancel, namely by 30 November 2023, 17:00
Tip: You can find all the information about your supplementary insurance in the General Terms and Conditions of Insurance (AVB) of Sympany or your current insurer. Premium adjustments are usually subject to a shortened notice period of one month.
Remember that you don’t have to be accepted by another health insurer.
Supplementary insurance is optional. You should therefore wait for written notification from your new health insurer. Are they accepting you unconditionally? If so, you should cancel your current supplementary insurance at this point. This will ensure that all your needs are covered. More here >
Attention: The postmark date does NOT apply to cancellations. Cancellation of your insurance with your current provider can be registered as having arrived before 5 p.m. on a working day (Monday to Friday).
How do I cancel my insurance?
Every adult must cancel the contract themselves – and in such a way that the insurer can clearly identify them. Please therefore always state your full name and your customer number and take into account the other requirements for your preferred method of cancellation:
Send the signed cancellation letter to your current insurer or to Sympany, Peter Merian-Weg 4, CH-4002 Basel (preferably by registered post).
- Ask your current insurer for the correct e-mail address for cancellations. At Sympany, this is: E-Mail.
- Send your cancellation instruction from the e-mail address stored in your insurer’s system.
Tip: Sympany confirms e-mails with an automatic confirmation of receipt including a ticket number. If your current insurer does not do this, ask for confirmation.
Send us a message via the app or customer portal.
(Only possible for the head of the family and for minors on a family policy. Other adults on a family policy must cancel the contract themselves by e-mail or post.)
Sympany will be happy to take care of cancelling your current insurance policy. Simply send us the signed cancellation form at E-Mail or Sympany, Peter Merian-Weg 4, 4002 Basel.
It goes without saying that we will only cancel your supplementary insurance if Sympany can accept your application unconditionally.